Thursday, June 28, 2012

Violence at the Movies

Many folks complain about Violence in Films and on television. Quite honestly, I dont see much Violence either place because Im extremely selective in what I view. I was having a discussion with a friend the other day about this topic. It reminded me that I had written an article a while ago, and tracked it down.

Its a true story, which happened in December, 1994. With hindsight, this story feels more like a planned experiment than a spontaneous happening.

I attended three Films within a period of seven days. Where I lived at the time in Santa Monica, I had the luxury of being within easy walking distance of five movie theaters which can show a total of 22 Films simultaneously. Most are hot out of the studio. (I still live in Santa Monica, but a little further away from these theaters.)

The first film was Legends of the Fall, which everyone can admit is violent. How I got to that one is a mystery, why I stayed is more of a mystery. Perhaps it was so I could have this experience and tell it.

The second film was Jungle Book, which parents actually take little children to see! I found it appallingly violent and distorted.

The third one was I.Q., a film I found delightful. Wa Who! Walter Matthau is one of my all-time favorite actors. No Violence. Many would probably say no depth, to which I shrug my shoulders without comment. I went to the film to be entertained, and was. I have conside rable depth in my work every day.

So now you know the Films, heres the experience. As blood and gore flashed across the screen in Legends of the Fall, I sometimes watched and mostly closed my eyes. About three-quarters of the way to the end, advertisements that are usually shown at the beginning began to play. The audience exploded!

Yelling and feet stomping were the norm. One man in particular seemed to go crazy. He screamed obscenities and could not say more than three words before repeating his favorite word, fing.

Ive not ever been in a riot, but it felt to me as if one was about to happen. I sent lots of love and light to the projectionist and to the audience. Soon the right reel was playing. Oops, no sound. More jeers from the audience. Then the Films sound came on. More jeers to rewind and begin the new reel again. Finally the film ended, although I have no memory how.

Several days later, I was off to the second film at another the ater. Jungle Book, a classic, considered to be a childrens film. The audience that day included little boys and girls accompanied by adults. The children were quite frightened. This was a tense fright, though, not an exhilarating one.

Three-quarters of the way through, the film broke. The audience exploded with yells and screams. The theater was not as crowded as the previous film, or the responses would undoubtedly have been multiplied. Soon the film returned to the screen for its finale.

Several days later, I attended I.Q. at a third theater. This is a romantic comedy requiring the wits of Albert Einstein with tee-hees and wide smiles for the audience throughout.

Are you ready for this? Three-quarters of the way through, the film broke. Not a sound came from the audience. Everyone sat quietly, waiting for the repair or whatever was needed. This soon happened, and the film played to the end without interruption.

Something in me wants to e nd this article with a profound and pithy statement that summarizes the whole experience. But something stronger in me just wants it to stand on its own you make of it what you will. Its a true story.

Copyright 1994, 2005 Marshall House. All rights reserved. You may save this article, send it to a friend, or reprint it in your online publications, provided the article remains complete and this information is attached. Please visit Marshall House at http://www.mhmail.com and Voice of Jeanie Marshall at http://www.jmvoice.com


Author:: Jeanie Marshall
Keywords:: Movies,Films,Violence,Feeling Good,Movie Theater
Post by History of the Computer | Computer safety tips

No comments:

Post a Comment