Friday, November 11, 2011

Movie Review: Audition

Last night I saw Audition, a Japanese horror/drama film about a widower who decides he is ready to remarry several years after the death of his wife. He confides in his Movie director friend who suggests that they set up a fake Audition to find him the woman he is looking for. He accepts and eventually falls hard for this seemingly shy, mysterious girl. It's your typical romantic story until you find out that the girl is actually a twisted, sadistic killer.

Up to that point, the film moves along slowly. Eventually it builds up to a series of climaxes that alternate between nightmare and reality. The beauty of the film lies in the fluidity of its constrasting images. To create a strong effect, the images are highly saturated with different colors depending on the mood of the scenes. One moment, you've got these peaceful, quiet moments that make you feel serene. And before you know it, you're violently shaken by some of most intense and shocking scenes you've ever seen . Here, the director stops at nothing. The torture scenes in this film have got to be the most graphic and gruesome ever put on film. It is not for the faint-hearted; even those who think are strong may not take it easily -as I learned all too well.

When the last torture scene unfolded, I sat on the edge of my bed with my hand frozen near the remote control stop button. Part of me badly wanted to stop the film and end this while the other part of me wanted to keep witnessing the horrific scenes. It was all so eerie, so strange. The victim's physical suffering felt like my psychological suffering. I felt as though it might have been my own nightmare. As the helpless man kept whispering 'stop it,' I couldn't help but wish for her to stop, too. But the demented killer would keep going in her evil, diabolical way, saying deeper, deeper, deeper with her soft, almost sweet-sounding laughing voice as she pushed the thick needles in deeper and deeper inside the poor man's fles h. Just hearing her little voice was enough to scare the hell out of you. She has the voice of angel, but she acts like she's the devil incarnate. Deeper, deeper, deeper is now a sentence I will no longer be taking lightly.

I had seen a lot of shocking films before, but this one shook me harder than ever. Next to it, the other well-known Japanese horror film Ringu is a children's playground. At the end of Audition, you almost feel psychologically traumatized and emotionally spent, but you also know you've seen horror at its best. Do consider yourself warned if you're planning to see it one day.


Author:: Cinthia Razakalalao
Keywords:: Movie,Audition,Japanesehorror,Horrorfilm
Post by History of the Computer | Computer safety tips

No comments:

Post a Comment